Do political parties add to divisiveness?

read more…: Do political parties add to divisiveness?

In following the 2024 presidential campaign, I find myself longing for the days when those seeking political office talked more about the issues than trying to score political points by pointing out the personal imperfections – most of the time some character flaw rather than their abilities – of their opponents, or worse that of their opponents families. I remember when people debated issues, didn’t yell or act hateful, maybe disagreed but respected the other, and when “politician” wasn’t seen as a bad word

September is centennial of the birth of New Hampshire author Grace Metalious

read more…: September is centennial of the birth of New Hampshire author Grace Metalious

Indian summer is like a woman. Ripe, highly passionate, but fickle, she comes and goes as she pleases…” Such is the opening line of Peyton Place, the controversial novel published in 1956 that eventually sold 20 million copies, was turned into a sanitized 1957 major movie that garnered nine Academy Award nominations, and  became a prime-time soap opera that ran for 524 episodes and debuted both Mia Farrow and Ryan O’Neal.

It’s time to go, Joe

read more…: It’s time to go, Joe

As I watched President Joe Biden’s atrocious performance in the now-infamous June 27 debate with former-president Donald Trump, I was reminded of a time in the late ’90s when I was driving to visit a friend in Jersey City and got hopelessly lost in the city. 

The Soapbox: Social Security is on the ballot. Trump wants to cut it.

read more…: The Soapbox: Social Security is on the ballot. Trump wants to cut it.

Like many Granite Staters, I’ve worked hard and paid for decades into Social Security and Medicare. I earned these benefits and I’ll count on them in my retirement. But let’s be clear: Social Security and Medicare are under attack by Donald Trump and the extreme MAGA Republicans who are threatening to slash them.

Essay: Fact versus fiction – Parsing today’s increasingly devisive politics

read more…: Essay: Fact versus fiction – Parsing today’s increasingly devisive politics

March 9th of this year marked the 70th anniversary of Edward R. Murrow’s famous half-hour television broadcast in which he effectively put an end to McCarthyism in America by calling out Senator Joe McCarthy for what he was: a crusading anti-communist politician who would do anything and everything to root out what he felt was an evil in his country by any means necessary.